Wednesday, May 21, 2008

One Year Later With A Two Core Processor

It's good to see that the machine I built last year still works great, though being the geek that I am (and seeing systems with quad-core Phenom processors at the same price that I spent), the urge to have parts more up to date - such as a GeForce 9600GT - is rearing its ugly head either despite or because of current financial issues.

In using the live CD for 64-bit Ubuntu Linux 8.04, I've learned just how incompatible things can be from 32-bit to 64-bit, experiencing difficulties in getting the wireless internet to stay up more than 2 minutes and finding that old C++ / C# executables won't run. For all the hype I've heard about 64-bit processors and operating systems being the norm in the next few years, this is not a good first impression. The only reason this experience wasn't a complete downer was the fact that this was Linux and not Windows Vista Service Pack 1.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home